…Managing up is a positive activity and not at all a negative activity.…To show you what I mean, let's consider one…of my favorite examples of managing up, helping behaviors.…Being a helpful person is not only the right…thing to do in a professional context, but it's one…of the best ways to ensure that, long term,…the people you're helping will be willing to help you.…And this applies to your boss, more than anyone else.…When you think about it, helping can actually mean many things, so let's…consider the most common ways you can be helpful to your boss at work.…
Number one, and this is my favorite, do your job really well.…Nothing is more helpful to your boss than…having an employee who consistently meets or exceeds expectations.…Because if you do, you become a person they can rely on, one they don't have to…worry about and that places you high on…their list of people with whom they enjoy working.…Being helpful also could mean providing direct physical assistance.…Let's say the client needs a ton of copies of the final report tomorrow and…
- Explore how self-reflection is a starting point for understanding others.
- Review they ways that social capital (credibility) relate to performance, recognition, and helping others.
- Recall different kinds of communication channels you can establish with your manager.
- Identify the most effective ways to promote your accomplishments.
- Review methods for documenting issues that help you communicate up.
- Explore key strategies for working with a remote manager.
- Examine ways to repair a damaged relationship with your manager.