Join Todd Dewett for an in-depth discussion in this video Being fair, part of Motivating and Engaging Employees (2013).
- It won't surprise you to hear me say that being fair…is terribly important if you want your team to trust you…and feel secure enough to engage change and improvement.…What might surprise you is the real definition…of the word fair.…Organizations are bureaucracies.…Inside a bureaucracy, everyone is not completely equal.…Fairness does not mean paying everyone the same.…It does not mean recognizing everyone in very similar ways,…so that no one feels left out.…The Golden Rule is often used as the best standard…for fairness.…
It suggests that you should try to treat others…as you would like to be treated.…In life, it's a pretty good rule.…At work, it's not as useful.…To be fair, we should set clear expectations…and always strive to be positive and helpful,…but we should ultimately treat people…how they need to be treated, given their performance within…a particular performance context.…Stated differently, why would you treat everyone the same…when everyone performs differently?…The good news is that people are generally okay…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Assessing employee engagement
- Providing autonomy
- Building a transparent culture
- Modeling desired behavior
- Using monetary and nonmonetary motivators
- Fostering accountability
- Developing career paths for employees<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.