Join Anil Gupta for an in-depth discussion in this video Beating the odds in cross-border alliances, part of Global Strategy.
- Walmart entered India in 2006…by setting up a 50 50 joint venture with Bharti Enterprises,…an Indian conglomerate with operations…in subtle industries including retail and telecomunications.…Bharti Walmart opened a number…of business to business wholesale stores…under the Best Price brand name.…Walmart also acquired an…indirect ownership stake in Easyday,…a chain of retail stores operated by Bharti Enterprises.…
By 2013, however, the partnership would fall apart.…The two companies unwound both relationships.…Walmart acquired Bharti stake in Best Price.…In turn Bharti acquired Walmart's stake in Easyday.…As Walmart's Asia CEO told the media,…the partnership was no longer tenable.…As Walmart's experience illustrates,…the history of joint ventures…is filled with stories of failure.…
Partners often find it difficult…to reconcile their views about…how they should manage the new venture.…Even if the strategic visions align,…cultural differences and inability to build trust…often torpedo partnerships.…Despite the low arts of success,…
This course is aimed at helping managers learn how to maximize the benefits while minimizing the costs and risks associated with global expansion. Anil K. Gupta, Michael Dingman Chair in Strategy and Globalization at The University of Maryland's Smith School, and one of the world's leading experts on global strategy, outlines the logic of global strategy and the questions you need to address in order to globalize your company's market presence and leverage global resources.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why go global?
- Prioritizing across the world's markets
- Designing entry strategies
- Frugal innovation
- Leveraging global resources
- Cultivating a global mindset