Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Avoiding common pitfalls, part of Strategic Planning Fundamentals.
- As you look at your organization's strategy,…and your current strategic planning process,…it's critical to understand there are some really large…pitfalls out there that you can fall into.…First, do you lack a clear direction?…If your organization can't clearly articulate,…"Here's where we're going, here's why we exist,…"and here's what we look like 3-5 years…"from now", you may lack direction.…Second, do you know how to say "No",…or do you say, "Yes", to everything?…Look at the latest set of initiatives…you've pursued over the past year.…
How many of them have been failures?…How many of them should you have walked away from?…That's an indicator that you're not saying, "No".…Next, is failure to prioritize.…Go look at everything everybody's working on…right now in terms of major initiatives.…Are they all properly resourced,…or are some of the lagging?…If you have a bunch of projects that are stalled,…or are behind schedule, you probably…haven't resourced appropriately,…and your prioritization process may be broken.…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Avoiding strategic planning risks
- Assessing the market
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Defining your direction, mission, and vision
- Determining core competencies
- Evaluating and prioritizing opportunities
- Assessing your initiatives
- Organizing for success
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.