In the on-demand economy, organizations choose workers for specific tasks that can be performed anywhere. Learn how three different talent platforms – Elance/Upwork, Tongal, and TopCoder - manage the hiring process for freelancers and e-lancers, and how businesses can choose from complete delegation to total control of the hiring process.
- [Voiceover] Today's selection systems largely focus on…choosing candidates to become regular full-time employees.…To do that organizations may rely on recommendations,…reference checks, background investigations,…aptitude or ability tests, and employment interviews…among other methods.…They typically also assess things like cultural fit…to make sure that the new employees have the potential…for a career beyond their first job.…In the on-demand economy however…as organizational boundaries…become less rigid and firms look toward a world…beyond employment the concept of choosing candidates…and selecting workers changes.…
Organizations know how to hire regular full-time employees,…but how should they hire the right freelancers or elancers?…In the on-demand economy, organizations choose workers…for specific tasks that can be performed anywhere.…As an example, consider the approach that…elance Upwork uses.…An organization starts by writing a clear and concise…job post.…That post should specify in detail the nature of the work…
Wayne first outlines the characteristics of freelancers, contractors, and elancers, and what they look for in an employer. He then reviews the management challenges involved in leading an on-demand team, and the implications for HR professionals responsible for developing a global supply chain of talent. He also considers critical legal issues: how to protect proprietary information, how to avoid violations of compensation and benefits laws, and how to distinguish nonemployees from employees of an organization. By the end of this course, you'll have a better understanding of the issues facing employers and employees in the on-demand economy.
- Who are on-demand workers?
- Developing a management strategy
- Incentivizing on-demand workers
- Hiring and developing
- Managing risk with outside workers
- Understanding the legal issues