Learn how to use personal assessment tools, such as a SWOT analysis, to become more aware of what drives you and your own decision making before you begin to build your team.
- As a leader, your job is to use your personality…and skills to help transform a group…of individuals into a functioning team.…The best thing you can do to improve your chances…for success is to become more aware…of what drives you and your own decision making.…Several sources name high self awareness as one…of the strongest predictors of leadership success.…Start by being objective about…your strengths and weaknesses.…Being able to accurately assess your own skills…and abilities eliminates the blind spots you may have…about what you can and cannot do, or maybe more important,…what you should or should not be doing.…
Here are three things you can do…to assess your self awareness.…First, try using a personality assessment tool.…This not only helps you understand yourself…and your leadership style, it gives you insights…into other types of personalities…and how they interact on a team.…DiSC, Myers-Briggs, and StrengthFinders…are just three examples of these tools.…Next, gain a deeper understanding of your own skills…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify the keys to success as a team leader.
- Explore management interactions commonly needed during the four team development stages.
- Recall the meaning of continuous improvement and what drives the process.
- Review the do's and don't of creating a team mission statement.
- Review how to use roles effectively during team meetings.
- Explore how to best use consensus strategies like thumbs up/down/sideways.