How can you ask your boss for flexible work options? These are the best practices for an employee to approach a manager or human resources with a flexible work proposal.
- The next few minutes are all about…how to ask your employer for flexible work options.…But before we talk about the right way to do it,…let me tell you a story about the wrong way.…A few years ago, I was struggling at work.…I was stressed out and I wasn't having fun…in a job that I used to love.…My work life balance felt out of wack.…Looking back on it, I see this was the time…to ask my employer for a flexible work arrangement.…But at the time, I missed all of those cues.…So what happened?…Well instead of coming up with a well-reasoned plan…to ask my employer if I could reduce my hours…from full-time to part-time, I stumbled into it.…
I was talking to our HR manager one day,…and suddenly blurted out something like,…I think I need to go part-time,…without even realizing what I was saying.…Luckily I work in a very understanding and flexible company…so it worked out in the end.…But that's not the case for a lot of people,…so learn from me and do things the right way.…The process of asking your employer…for flexible work options…
- Recognize how common flexible jobs are in the economy.
- Identify what area is leading the economy in flexible jobs.
- Recall what you should do before talking with your manager about flexible work opportunities.
- Explain the problem with using the key phrase “work from home” when searching for jobs online.
- Identify when during the interview process you should explore the possibility of flexible work.