Join Mike Figliuolo for an in-depth discussion in this video Articulating guiding principles and setting goals, part of Strategic Planning Fundamentals.
- The last two elements of setting direction…for your organization are articulating…your guiding principles and your goals.…Guiding principles dictate how you…want the organization to behave,…especially when your leaders aren't around.…You're setting out a principle that an associate can…use when they're confronted with a situation…where they don't know what to do.…What lenses do you want them looking through…as they're evaluating those decisions,…because if you have clear guiding principles…the actions they're going to take will be consistent…with the direction of the organization,…which ultimately helps you achieve that vision and mission.…
In terms of your goals,…you're going to set out those metrics,…those things that after a year, two years, five years,…you'll look back and say we achieved those goals.…Try to make them as measurable as possible.…It can be a dollar, how much revenue, how much profit.…It can be a number of new customers that you add.…Those guiding principles and goals need to be…clear enough that they guide behavior,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Avoiding strategic planning risks
- Assessing the market
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Defining your direction, mission, and vision
- Determining core competencies
- Evaluating and prioritizing opportunities
- Assessing your initiatives
- Organizing for success
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Before You Begin Planning
2. Defining the Strategic Environment
3. Setting Your Strategic Direction
4. Determining How You'll Compete
5. Evaluating and Prioritizing Opportunities
6. Assessing Your Initiative Portfolio
Using a 2x2 matrix2m 56s
7. Organizing for Success
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.