Join Vince Kotchian for an in-depth discussion in this video Area and perimeter, part of Everyday Math Fundamentals.
- In this movie I am gonna talk about the concepts…of area and perimeter as they pertain to…doing some home improvement.…We're gonna find out how much paint we will…need to paint four walls of a room…excluding the windows and the door.…We're also gonna figure out how to…figure out how much crown molding we need to buy,…or how many feet of it to go around the ceiling of the room.…So let's think about a typical room,…and I'll draw a picture here for you.…
OK, so the room that I just drew…has gaps where the door is, I'll just put a D there,…and where the window is, just so you can visualize…those two things.…So let's say you go to the store and you see…that one gallon of paint is going to cover 250 sq ft.…So notice that it's giving us the measure in area,…square feet means area.…So let's say that this particular room,…the walls are all eight feet high,…and let's say the wall with the window and the door…are both 10 feet long, so this distance is 10 feet,…so is the distance for the wall with the window in it,…and let's say that the two side walls are both eight feet.…
- Practicing mental math
- Understanding decimals and fractions
- Working with percentages and ratios
- Solving equations
- Calculating area and volume
- Scaling recipes
- Estimating your running speed
- Calculating the area for home-improvement projects
- Working with probability
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. Math Foundations: Part one
2. Math Foundations: Part Two
3. Math Foundations: Part Three
4. Shopping and Cooking Math
5. Health and Fitness Math
6. Home-Improvement Math
7. Probability and Counting Math
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.