Learn how to be more creative by using the division technique.
- Division is a powerful technique…because it forces you to break fixedness,…especially structural fixedness.…Division forces you to create configurations…by rearranging components in ways you were not likely…to have done on your own.…The division technique works by dividing a product…or its components functionally or physically,…and then rearranging them back into the product.…To apply the division technique,…you start by listing the products internal components.…
Next, you divide the product or one of the components,…and there are three ways you can do this.…First is functionally,…where you rearrange along some functional role.…For example, a water sport company took the controls…of the speedboat and then functionally divided them off…and placed them into the handle of the water ski tow rope,…now the water skier controls the movements of the boat…without having a separate driver.…
Next is physically, where you are cutting the product…or component along any physical line.…A physical division is different than functional…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding ways to learn creativity
- Understanding the barriers to creativity
- Applying the subtraction technique
- Applying the division technique
- Applying the multiplication technique
- Applying the attribute dependency theory
- Creating a creativity dream team
- Facilitating group creativity
- Selecting the best ideas