LinkedIn principal author Doug Winnie describes the various skills and roles that are part of a technology product manager. These include project management, user research, user experience, architecture, programming, marketing, business analysis, communications and public speaking. Ultimately, the product manager is the glue for every person and stakeholder on the product team.
- The product manager is a job…that is incredibly empowering, fulfilling and exciting,…but as you look into it more,…you'll see that product management…is made up of many different components and disciplines…and knowing where to start can be a challenge.…The product manager is the glue…that connects all the stakeholders on a product team.…The product manager is the approver of decisions…that affect the product…and is the person everyone on the team relies on…to lead them confidently through the development process.…There are multiple disciplines…that go into being a product manager…for technology projects.…
First, you need to determine what product…needs to be created.…Begin by conducting research…to understand current customers and prospects…and to get a grasp on their challenges and needs.…As you start to envision what the product calls for…you'll need to have a way to visualize and prototype,…so you can work with your designers…to determine how the product should look and feel,…and how people will interface with it.…
- Types of products and industries
- Leading through influence
- Understanding your team
- Using an agile or waterfall development cycle
- Managing your product life cycle
- Researching your market, customers, and ideas
- Planning the product
- Building the product
- Releasing the product
- Refining the product
- Understanding when it's time to retire the product
Skill Level Beginner
1. What is Product Management?
2. What Does a Product Manager Do?
When it is time to retire2m 58s
Next steps1m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.