Learn how to reach agreement on how the coaching work together will proceed, with focus on the most important elements to avoid divergent expectations going forward.
- I once had a leader say to me,…"I hate when people answer my question with a question."…He said it because I just did it.…And I made it worse.…I said, I'll give you my point of view,…but the decision is yours.…He said, "I don't need you to tell me…my decisions are mine, I'm asking what you think."…Well that didn't go well, but it was really valuable.…It was one of many lessons I've learned about how…to adapt to what works best for each leader,…and align expectations about how to work together.…
Let's look at some steps to align expectations.…First, logistics.…Set expectations about how often you'll meet,…and for how long, in person, remote, or a mix.…Second, get to know your leader's likes and dislikes.…Listen for clues about what they like and don't like…when they talk about working with others.…It might be useful for you, too.…Third, be sure to tell your leader you love…hearing feedback on how it's going for them.…Check in routinely to learn what they want you…to keep doing, and what you should change.…
And one more thing, and that's why I used…
- What is executive coaching?
- Establishing your credibility and character
- Building your coaching relationship
- Understanding your leader's specific situation and aspirations
- Establishing development priorities
- Creating a development plan
- Gathering data and synthesizing it
- Supporting your leader's progress
- Engaging strategic stakeholders