There are significant risks, as well as vast opportunities, to be successful in the on-demand economy. This video summarizes key lessons regarding people-related business issues in areas such as strategy, leadership, and rewards, to help employers consider these issues thoughtfully and systematically.
- 21st century business is fast moving, dynamic,…and it operates 24/7.…We call it the on-demand economy.…New online companies and apps seem to appear overnight.…In just the last five years, venture capitalists have poured…almost nine and a half billion dollars into…startup companies that operate in the on-demand economy.…Betting that their new business models will create demand…for their services.…In earlier cases like Uber, Airbnb, LinkedIn,…and salesforce.com they were absolutely right.…
But they are not unfailingly right as with…eToys, Webvan, or pets.com.…Do you have a business model…that makes sound economic sense?…Regarding the work you want your on-demand company…to accomplish think carefully about three key questions.…Which elements of the work have to be done in-house…and which can be farmed out to non-traditional employees?…How will you find the kinds of knowledge, skills,…and abilities necessary to do the work that will be…farmed out?…Will you use an app, a talent platform,…or some other approach?…What do you expect in terms of deliverables like time,…
Wayne first outlines the characteristics of freelancers, contractors, and elancers, and what they look for in an employer. He then reviews the management challenges involved in leading an on-demand team, and the implications for HR professionals responsible for developing a global supply chain of talent. He also considers critical legal issues: how to protect proprietary information, how to avoid violations of compensation and benefits laws, and how to distinguish nonemployees from employees of an organization. By the end of this course, you'll have a better understanding of the issues facing employers and employees in the on-demand economy.
- Who are on-demand workers?
- Developing a management strategy
- Incentivizing on-demand workers
- Hiring and developing
- Managing risk with outside workers
- Understanding the legal issues