Learn how to compose a clear, concise, and meaningful title for a technical report. A title page also contains other essential information including names or agencies and a date. Effective titles can determine if a report gets read. Explore ways to ask key questions to help craft a report title.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] How important is the title…for your technical report?…It may be one of the last things you compose…or at least one of your last revisions.…And yes, it is the first thing your reader sees,…but is it really that important…and does it really require any thought and time?…How do you determine which articles to read,…which resources to use, even which emails to read?…Probably by the title, which is what the subject line…is for an email.…The shortest part, the title, may determine…if it even gets read.…
Also consider that if your technical report is stored online…it will be accessed by the keywords in the title.…Let's look at some of the common problem areas…in technical report titles.…One, it may be too general or incomplete, Erosion, example.…That could be about dozens of different issues…or even Erosion Concerns is still much too general.…Or maybe the most important aspects aren't emphasized…as in these two examples,…Evaluation of How to Improve Erosion…Around Highway Construction Areas,…or Investigation of Erosion Issues Created…
- Identifying the purpose and main point of the report
- Evaluating audience needs
- Conducting research
- Writing a first draft
- Writing an abstract
- Including methodology and procedure
- Creating a cover letter
- Crediting sources
- Considering language formality
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Writing Business Reportswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 58m Appropriate for all
Business Writing Strategieswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 59m Appropriate for all
Writing in Plain Englishwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 51m Beginner
2. Analyze Audience Characteristics
Evaluate audience needs3m 41s
3. Writing Process
4. Sections of a Technical Report
5. Mechanical Elements
Next steps2m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.