Learn how to select appropriate information for a technical background report or the background section of technical report. Background information offers context for the technical report and should not overlap with other report segments. This video also explores the importance of examining the needs of readers when writing background information.
- [Judy] Background, the back story.…What happened behind the scenes?…Even though all technical reports…contain background of one type or another,…once technical report is even called…a technical background report.…It doesn't provide conclusions or recommendations,…doesn't report or analyze research data,…so what does it do?…It's for a specific audience that has a need and use…for general information to help understand…the total project.…A technical background report…would select information that a specific group…would need to know.…
A group of surveyors who have been hired…to survey certain sections of land…that will be examined for the environmental impact…of construction for example.…They probably need to have, or at least might want to have,…a general idea of how what they're doing…fits into the total project,…but they don't need to have all the laws…that may have been broken, what the specific toxicity level…results mean, or what environmental protection techniques…to implement had been recommended.…So that technical background report…
- Identifying the purpose and main point of the report
- Evaluating audience needs
- Conducting research
- Writing a first draft
- Writing an abstract
- Including methodology and procedure
- Creating a cover letter
- Crediting sources
- Considering language formality
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Writing Business Reportswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 58m Appropriate for all
Business Writing Strategieswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 59m Appropriate for all
Writing in Plain Englishwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 51m Beginner
2. Analyze Audience Characteristics
Evaluate audience needs3m 41s
3. Writing Process
4. Sections of a Technical Report
5. Mechanical Elements
Next steps2m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.