In this video, Judy emphasizes the importance of the presentation and the correct formatting of a technical report. Learn how using the correct margins and line justification, font size and style, levels of headings, numbering, and binding are all part of producing an effective technical report.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] The appearance of a report is no less…important than its content.…In fact, that first impression how it looks,…can impact how the reader views your entire technical report…For example, using the correct margins…and line justification, font size and style,…levels of headings, numbering both for pages…and how to write numbers in the report, binding,…and how to submit online are all part of producing…an effective technical report.…So let's first examine the spacing.…
Generally, use double space typing except in those areas…where single spacing is more standard,…as in the letter of transmittable which should use…the standard letter format.…Next, what about the margins and justification?…Use generous spacing.…One inch margins are considered standard.…If a technical report is to be presented…on a left-bound paper copy,…then consider using 1.25 or 1.5 for the left margin…to allow space for the binding.…If the format is top-bound,…then allow the extra room at the top.…
Use single-column format unless you have some reason…
- Identifying the purpose and main point of the report
- Evaluating audience needs
- Conducting research
- Writing a first draft
- Writing an abstract
- Including methodology and procedure
- Creating a cover letter
- Crediting sources
- Considering language formality
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Writing Business Reportswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 58m Appropriate for all
Business Writing Strategieswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 59m Appropriate for all
Writing in Plain Englishwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 51m Beginner
2. Analyze Audience Characteristics
Evaluate audience needs3m 41s
3. Writing Process
4. Sections of a Technical Report
5. Mechanical Elements
Next steps2m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.