Dr. Jonathan Reichental introduces real-world use cases for open data, as well as the steps you need to take to develop and operationalize an open data program. He also explains how data scientists use open data to tell stories and drive data visualizations. Along the way, he provides numerous examples of open data in action: improving government, empowering citizens, creating opportunity, and solving public problems.
- Understanding what open data really is
- Current open data efforts around the globe
- Open data in action
- Designing an open data governance process, including policies
- Monetizing open data
- Storytelling with open data
- Selling the value of open data
- Measuring the value of open data
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Jonathan] Governments all over the world are making their vast repositories of data freely available. It's making those governments more transparent and providing communities with valuable data to become more informed, more engaged, and empower it to help solve community challenges. Making this data available without restriction and in a form that's easy for computer applications to process is a relatively new capability called open data. Hi, I'm Jonathan Reichental, and this is my Open Data: Unleashing Hidden Value introductory course.
In this course, we'll cover the breath of open data including why governments and communities are embracing it, how it is being used, developing a policy, operationalizing an open data program, how to tell stories with the data, and lots of examples of open data in action. If you work in government or industry and your responsibilities include some form of data management, if data is in your job title, if you have responsibility for or are interested in open government, or if you're simply interested in better government and the future of our communities, then this is the right course for you.
Okay, let's get started.