Join Judy Steiner-Williams for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Technical Writing: Reports.
- [Instructor] The next steps, yes, steps plural.…Just as writing a technical report is in steps or stages,…so is learning to write one.…The first question to ask yourself is:…Are you ready to write a technical report?…If yes, then start.…If you don't think you're quite ready,…then ask yourself about what areas you are still uncertain.…What parts are still unclear?…If you can identify those,…then review those lessons.…Maybe go back to the What You Should Know discussion.…
To remind yourself that technical reports…come in a variety of formats…from a variety of standpoints,…and may have a variety of readers.…Are some parts and processes standard?…Yes, but each needs to be adapted…to whether you're writing technical instructions…or researching or analyzing a complex,…ongoing project with major future implications…for a company, for the government,…or for society in general.…Further investigate the items in the exercise file.…
Example technical reports, list of questions to ask…when thinking about preparing visuals…are a couple of the items.…
- Identifying the purpose and main point of the report
- Evaluating audience needs
- Conducting research
- Writing a first draft
- Writing an abstract
- Including methodology and procedure
- Creating a cover letter
- Crediting sources
- Considering language formality
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Writing a Business Reportwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 58m Appropriate for all
Business Writing Principleswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 32m Beginner
Business Writing Strategieswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 59m Appropriate for all
Writing in Plain Englishwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 51m Beginner
2. Analyze Audience Characteristics
Evaluate audience needs3m 41s
3. Writing Process
4. Sections of a Technical Report
5. Mechanical Elements
Next steps2m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.