This video demonstrates national and international nature of the topic.
- View Offline
- Let's begin our introduction by taking a look…at a survey of Open Data Portals Around the World.…What strikes me as I look at this graphic,…is that Open Data is not restricted to one…region of the world.…This collection of notable Open Data efforts,…documented by OpenDataSoft,…clearly shows opening government data…is a global movement.…From California to South America,…from the UK to South Africa,…across Russia to Southeast Asia,…communities and governments are publishing data…that is easily accessible, unrestricted,…and machine processable.…
As impressive as the process has been to date,…these Open Data portals still represent…just a small percentage of the potential ahead.…In the US alone there are tens of thousands…of public agencies who have still not made…the commitment to publish their valuable data sets.…The momentum is positive and all indicators suggest…that thousands of new Open Data portals…will emerge in the years ahead, providing transparency,…and making their communities more open and collaborative.…
Dr. Jonathan Reichental introduces real-world use cases for open data, as well as the steps you need to take to develop and operationalize an open data program. He also explains how data scientists use open data to tell stories and drive data visualizations. Along the way, he provides numerous examples of open data in action: improving government, empowering citizens, creating opportunity, and solving public problems.
- Understanding what open data really is
- Current open data efforts around the globe
- Open data in action
- Designing an open data governance process, including policies
- Monetizing open data
- Storytelling with open data
- Selling the value of open data
- Measuring the value of open data