The focus of a technical report can vary depending on the writer, the reader, the company, or even the government agency. Judy offers tips on how to discover the focus of report. Learn how to ask important questions during this process to learn the readers' needs. She also addresses the amount of time it might take to craft a technical report.
- [Instructor] The term technical writing may have…different meanings for different people.…Even though technical report is the most…commonly used term,…the terms working or discussion papers are also used.…The focus on technical report writing can be…in terms of the writer's focus,…the reader's focus, the company sending the report,…or the company receiving the report's focus,…or even the governing agency's focus.…So as we delve more deeply into technical…report parts and technical report writing steps,…keep in mind that technical report writing's focus…is on a formal report to convey technical information…that is easy to locate and to understand…for a specific purpose.…
And believe it or not,…you probably frequently read technical reports.…User manuals, online help for example,…and maybe prepared technical reports even though…you may not think you've ever prepared one.…You've probably filled out a questionnaire…or asked your employer for a pay raise.…Those may not qualify as formal technical reports,…but as you'll discover as we delve more deeply…
- Identifying the purpose and main point of the report
- Evaluating audience needs
- Conducting research
- Writing a first draft
- Writing an abstract
- Including methodology and procedure
- Creating a cover letter
- Crediting sources
- Considering language formality
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Writing Business Reportswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 58m Appropriate for all
Business Writing Strategieswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 59m Appropriate for all
Writing in Plain Englishwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 51m Beginner
2. Analyze Audience Characteristics
Evaluate audience needs3m 41s
3. Writing Process
4. Sections of a Technical Report
5. Mechanical Elements
Next steps2m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.