Cover letters for a technical report explain the attached report, describe the report’s purpose, and offer context for the reader. A cover letter also conveys next steps or content that does not fit elsewhere in a technical report. In this video, learn how to structure and organize an effective cover letter.
- [Instructor] Cover letter, transmittal,…transmittal cover letter,…as with most parts of a proposal,…different terms are used to describe them.…Actually, if the report is an internal report…then it may be in memo format,…which is the more standard format…for internal communication with a heading of to,…from, date, and subject, so not a letter at all.…If the report is to an external client or agency,…then the standard letter format is used…on your company letterhead…following all the letter requirements,…address, salutations, subject line, easy to read paragraphs,…complimentary close, sincerely is standard,…the signature block with special notations such as copy,…if someone else is receiving a copy of the letter…or the report.…
Regardless of the name and format,…the placement and purpose are standard.…This technical report section is usually the first thing…the reader sees after the title page.…Occasionally, it might even be affixed to the outside…of a report, but more generally it is bound with the report.…Its purpose is to explain the attached report,…
- Identifying the purpose and main point of the report
- Evaluating audience needs
- Conducting research
- Writing a first draft
- Writing an abstract
- Including methodology and procedure
- Creating a cover letter
- Crediting sources
- Considering language formality
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Writing Business Reportswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 58m Appropriate for all
Business Writing Strategieswith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 59m Appropriate for all
Writing in Plain Englishwith Judy Steiner-Williams1h 51m Beginner
2. Analyze Audience Characteristics
Evaluate audience needs3m 41s
3. Writing Process
4. Sections of a Technical Report
5. Mechanical Elements
Next steps2m 29s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.