Join Doug Winnie for an in-depth discussion in this video The new Media Player, part of Up and Running with Xbox One.
- Another new feature of the Xbox update is a new app called the Media Player, which can be downloaded from the Xbox store. This app, when you connect a USB drive to your Xbox, can be used to to play back videos or show photos that are attached onto that drive. Let's go ahead into the store and download the application. Let's go ahead and select Apps. We can go ahead and do All Apps and if we move over, we can go to the Media Player, select it, and press Install.
With the app now installed, I can now attach a USB drive to my Xbox and show photos or playback videos that are stored on that particular drive. Let's go back Home. I'm going to take my USB drive and connect it into my Xbox. You'll see a notification at the bottom that says that there's now External Media and that storage is now available. Let's go ahead and go to the Media Player application, which we just installed. I'm going to go to the My Apps area, go to Apps, and let's navigate over to Media Player.
When I select this, it'll launch the Media Player app. You'll see that Aria's detected the USB drive and I can select that drive. I can select Play All, which will take all the assets that are on this particular folder and display them on my Xbox. You'll see that the file name is displayed with an icon showing whether it is a video or a photo. If I select a photo, it'll now display it full screen. Let's go back and instead, select a video file.
The video file will then start immediately playing. If I press the A button on the Xbox controller, it'll show the playback controls, where I can either move forward by selecting and pressing the select button, and then pressing play to when I want to replay the video, or I can navigate back. Pressing the button multiple times will speed up the reverse or the forward direction of the search. If I go back, I can also Play All, which will take all the different media files and combine them together into an animated slideshow, changing from video playback to animating and panning photos in one seamless experience.
With a media player app, you can also use DNLA connected media servers that are a part of your home network. Using the Media Player app, it makes it easy to take files or videos you currently have on your computer or on your external hard drives and to play them back on your Xbox One.
- Connecting and powering up the Xbox One
- Working with games and apps
- Signing up for Xbox Live
- Using Xbox with your TV
- Controlling Xbox One with your voice
- Messaging friends
- Using OneDrive with Xbox One