Join Dana Robinson for an in-depth discussion in this video How to search for existing patents, part of Understanding Patents: A Deeper Dive.
- I've talked about how you can…and should look for prior art…when you want to file a patent for your invention.…As we discussed, you can order searches…from outside companies that just do searches.…You can hire a law firm…or you can do your own searches.…I'd like to walk you through some…do it yourself searches and show you…how you might conduct a search…using Google's patent database.…We're going to go to Google.com/patents.…Now, there's a lot of things we can search for.…I've talked a little bit about the patent…my daughter and I filed for her.…Let's do a search in patents for the inventor…and we'll type my daughter's name as the inventor.…
And the first two search results are hers…and you can see just from the search results…the name actually comes up so you know that's the inventor.…But we can actually click on this…and we'll have a look at the patent itself.…So, this one is her Method of Sharing Possessions…Among Friends through a Social Network…and you can read through the patent…whether you read through an abstract.…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LInkedIn nor the attorney teaching the course represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate basic information to help viewers understand the basics of intellectual property.
- Recall the timeframe that applies to application for a utility patent.
- Identify the type of patent that would be best for a product where design is more important than function.
- Define the meaning of patent prosecution.
- Recall the basics of patent infringement.
- Recognize legally accurate scenarios regarding patent rights and benefits.