Join Dana Robinson for an in-depth discussion in this video How to avoid infringing a patent, part of Understanding Patents: A Deeper Dive.
- I've gone over the fundamentals of patents…and patent infringement.…At this point maybe you're realizing…that there could be a patent on just about anything.…Does that mean that you have to be sure that anything you do…is not an infringement of someone else's patent?…This is a tough question.…In theory you could conduct a patent search…for everything you do in business,…but even large companies don't always search patents…for everything they do.…It is common for companies to search for patents…on their main product lines…and anything new that they innovate.…
But a company with hundreds of different business activities…will generally not conduct a patent search…for every single activity.…Most large companies will have patent searches…performed for key activities,…and when they're considering filing…a new patent of their own.…What is a patent search?…Well a patent search can be as simple as you…going to Google Patents and searching for keywords…that relate to your product or service…and looking for various patents.…
DISCLAIMER: This course is taught by an attorney and addresses US law concepts that may not apply in all countries. Neither LInkedIn nor the attorney teaching the course represents you and they are not giving legal advice. The information conveyed through this course is akin to a college or law school course; it is not intended to give legal advice, but instead to communicate basic information to help viewers understand the basics of intellectual property.
- Recall the timeframe that applies to application for a utility patent.
- Identify the type of patent that would be best for a product where design is more important than function.
- Define the meaning of patent prosecution.
- Recall the basics of patent infringement.
- Recognize legally accurate scenarios regarding patent rights and benefits.