Join Drew Boyd for an in-depth discussion in this video The principle of function follows form, part of Business Innovation.
- View Offline
Innovation is the process of taking an idea…and putting it into practice.…Creativity, on the other hand,…is what you do in your head to generate the idea,…an idea that meets three criteria:…An innovative idea must be new,…useful,…and surprising.…New means that no one else has done it before.…Useful means that it delivers some new value…for you or your customers.…And surprising,…it means that the market will be delighted…with your latest innovation.…
Most people think the way you create an idea…is to start with a well-formed problem…and then brainstorm a solution to it.…What if you turned that around 180 degrees?…It sounds counterintuitive,…but you really can innovate by starting with the solution…and then work backwards to the problem.…In the systematic inventive thinking method,…we call it the Function Follows Form Principle.…Here's how it works.…First, you start with an existing situation.…
That situation can be a product,…it can be a service,…or perhaps a process.…You take that item, and you make a list…of its components and attributes.…
In the bonus chapter, Drew shares insights from his own career and answers tough questions on resistance to innovation, innovation and leadership, and the difference between generating vs. executing innovative ideas.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is innovation?
- Understanding the myths about creativity and barriers to innovation
- Understanding the characteristics of innovative products and services
- Using the five techniques of Systematic Inventive Thinking
- Creating new services and processes at work
- Running innovation workshops
- Involving customers in innovation
- Mastering innovative thinking<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.