Join Drew Boyd for an in-depth discussion in this video On innovation as part of your business, part of Business Innovation.
- View Offline
Sometimes I get a reaction from companies…that will say to me, "Look, you don't understand.…"Given the culture of the company we have…"and given the industry we're in, we're not going…"to be one of those super creative companies…"like you see in Silicon Valley, we're just not that."…I think companies in doing that, they're talking…themselves out of being more innovative.…Look, there's no doubt that companies struggle…with innovation, mainly in this context.…There is today's business that you've got to…deliver results on, right?…Companies, especially public companies,…are under constant pressure to deliver financial results.…
The managers of companies have to make this…balance between investing in the long term…versus investing in the short term.…That's the ultimate business dilemma, in my view.…The innovation spin, so to speak, the investments,…are fighting for attention against current day results.…A company, if you're going to be more innovative,…you've got to spend more time on it, but there are…other things that you have to do as well.…
In the bonus chapter, Drew shares insights from his own career and answers tough questions on resistance to innovation, innovation and leadership, and the difference between generating vs. executing innovative ideas.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is innovation?
- Understanding the myths about creativity and barriers to innovation
- Understanding the characteristics of innovative products and services
- Using the five techniques of Systematic Inventive Thinking
- Creating new services and processes at work
- Running innovation workshops
- Involving customers in innovation
- Mastering innovative thinking<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.