Join Drew Boyd for an in-depth discussion in this video Who should lead an innovation effort?, part of Business Innovation.
- View Offline
Somebody has to lead the innovation effort.…Whether it's at an organizational level or at a team level.…And the answer might surprise you.…I come from the commercial side of thing, marketing.…And I've always held this belief that it's marketing…that should be at sort of the helm…of the overall leadership initiative…because its the marketing function…that thinks through the competitiveness of the firm.…Right, it's the marketers…that have to sort of go to battle.…
They're the ones that wake up thinking…how are we gonna bite the good fight today.…Now, that said, look innovation is a team sport.…And any marketing organization that says you know,…we own it (laughs) the rest of you stay out of this.…No!…That's not gonna work.…It's just not gonna work.…It's a collaborative effort between the commercial…and the technical side of things.…There's no question about that.…I think the mistake you can make though is this…at an organizational level,…you can point at somebody and say…they're the chief innovation officer.…Why that's a problem is that everybody else…
In the bonus chapter, Drew shares insights from his own career and answers tough questions on resistance to innovation, innovation and leadership, and the difference between generating vs. executing innovative ideas.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is innovation?
- Understanding the myths about creativity and barriers to innovation
- Understanding the characteristics of innovative products and services
- Using the five techniques of Systematic Inventive Thinking
- Creating new services and processes at work
- Running innovation workshops
- Involving customers in innovation
- Mastering innovative thinking<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.