Join Drew Boyd for an in-depth discussion in this video Structural fixedness, part of Business Innovation.
- View Offline
Imagine you are driving down the highway…and you notice a flag waving in the distance,…but something's not right.…The flag is upside down.…You notice it right away because…it's not in its usual position…that you've seen hundreds of times before.…We all have this tendency to notice things…that are out of order.…We have an innate sense of how…things are structured,…and it helps us make sense of the world around us.…But the sense of structure is also…a barrier to creativity.…
Here's an example.…Take a look at this and tell me…which is the odd one out?…Do you see it?…If you're like most people you selected…one of the three numbers you see here,…17, 19, or 13,…but I want you to step back from the problem…and see it in a different light.…Now I want you to consider all the numbers…on the page including the ones…on the left side, 1, 2, and 3.…
Now, out of these six numbers…which one is the odd one out?…You should have no difficulty seeing…that the number two is the only even number…on the page.…It's truly the odd one out.…Why do people have such a difficult time…
In the bonus chapter, Drew shares insights from his own career and answers tough questions on resistance to innovation, innovation and leadership, and the difference between generating vs. executing innovative ideas.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is innovation?
- Understanding the myths about creativity and barriers to innovation
- Understanding the characteristics of innovative products and services
- Using the five techniques of Systematic Inventive Thinking
- Creating new services and processes at work
- Running innovation workshops
- Involving customers in innovation
- Mastering innovative thinking<br><br>
- The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.