Join Jim Stice for an in-depth discussion in this video Operating cash flow data as an IPO reality check, part of Running a Profitable Business: Understanding Cash Flow.
- Here are the income statement numbers…from scenario two entered into the matrix.…Now, are these cash flow numbers?…No. The income statement number is a measure…of economic performance,…which is not necessarily the same as cash flow.…But we know that we can use balance sheet numbers…to convert these income statement numbers…into cash flow numbers.…Here are the relevant balance sheet numbers…for the company in scenario two as of the end of last year,…and as of the end of this year.…Now, there's a little wrinkle here in scenario two.…This company is preparing to do an initial…public offering of shares early next year.…
As a result, the accountants have been quite careful…to make reported net income look as high as possible.…Let's review each adjustment necessary in the matrix.…First, depreciation. Remember that depreciation…was subtracted in the computation of net income,…but it does not involve any cash flow.…So, to adjust the numbers to be on a cash flow basis,…we need to add back the amount,…effectively removing depreciation from…
Want to hear more from Jim and Kay? Learn about all three types of accounting—financial, managerial, and income tax—in their Accounting Fundamentals course.
- Differentiating between net income and operating cash flow
- Categorizing cash flow
- Using financial data to deduce cash flow
- Managing operating, investing, and financing cash flows
- Typical cash flow patterns
- Converting net income into operating cash flow
- Improving operating cash flow
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Importance of Cash Flow Analysis
2. Overview of the Statement of Cash Flows
3. Using Cash Flow Data to Make a Loan Decision
4. Converting Income Statement Data into Operating Cash Flow Data
5. Managing Cash Flow
6. Cash Flow Numbers for Some Real Companies
The danger of free cash flow3m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.