Join Jim Stice for an in-depth discussion in this video Company C: Normal, part of Running a Profitable Business: Understanding Cash Flow.
- Okay, we're looking at cash flow data…for four companies,…and using those cash flow data…to determine which one of the companies…we should give a loan to.…We looked at company "A"…and decided probably not.…Company "A" has negative operating cash flow…and hugely negative free cash flow.…We also looked at company "B"…and also turned away company "B" as liquidating.…Collecting cash from selling off its land,…buildings and equipment without replacing them.…No to "A", no to "B".…Now let's look at the cash flow statement…for company "C".…
What's the most important number…in the statement of cash flows?…Answer, operating cash flow.…And for company "C" we see that operating…cash flow is positive $45,000,…that's good.…What's the most important relation…in the statement of cash flows?…Answer, the relation between the magnitude…of operating cash flow…and the magnitude of investing cash flow.…We put those two numbers together…and we call it free cash flow.…The free cash flow for company "C"…is negative $55,000.…That's the positive $45,000 operating cash flow,…
Want to hear more from Jim and Kay? Learn about all three types of accounting—financial, managerial, and income tax—in their Accounting Fundamentals course.
- Differentiating between net income and operating cash flow
- Categorizing cash flow
- Using financial data to deduce cash flow
- Managing operating, investing, and financing cash flows
- Typical cash flow patterns
- Converting net income into operating cash flow
- Improving operating cash flow
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Importance of Cash Flow Analysis
2. Overview of the Statement of Cash Flows
3. Using Cash Flow Data to Make a Loan Decision
4. Converting Income Statement Data into Operating Cash Flow Data
5. Managing Cash Flow
6. Cash Flow Numbers for Some Real Companies
The danger of free cash flow3m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.