Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating layers, part of Designing a Newsletter.
- View Offline
As I mentioned before and as I doubtless will mention again, the success of this project is all about how much time we invest in the setup and that time is really going to pay off and one of the things that we need to do in terms of setup is create some layers. So before we even have any content, I'm going to come to the Layers panel, double-click on Layer 1 and then rename that to text. And then I'll create a layer for pictures, another one for page furniture and that's going to hold the footers, the rules, any repeating elements that basically get kept from one month to the next and stay in the same position.
As I have mentioned in an earlier movie, although this is a 3-column layout, we are going to have some pages where we want to use four columns. So I'm going to put the guides for a 4-column grid on that separate layer and now I want to change the order of these layers: text, pictures, page furniture, 4 column.
- Identifying the common parts of a newsletter
- Working with multiple stories and images
- Placing, scaling, and cropping images
- Using various typefaces and formatting text to fit the message
- Establishing efficient workflows with paragraph styles, character styles, object styles, and master pages
- Designing mastheads, footers, and tables of contents
- Preflighting and proofing documents
- Creating print-ready PDF files