An overview of today's logo identity field is given that focuses on an industry that is trying to simplify its message. Swings toward austere typographic and spartan geometric solutions are highlighted. Why it is important to look outside of the identity field to find additional influences for the next great identify trends that others are not tracking.
- [Voiceover] Here's the headline for this report.…Simplicity is back, and with a vengeance.…Typography has taken a decidedly strong swing…to the austere, nearly a neo Swiss style…with many word marks abandoning much of their personality…and adopting the universal sans serif construction.…I say neo, because with every incarnation of a style,…there are shifts from the former self.…When Hobby Lobby and Viceland take the same approach,…everybody's on board.…Look for some subtle inclusion…of personality or character.…
Occasionally, the aesthetic stone face…will crack a smile.…This swing was inevitable.…See also the simplicity of shape.…Pure geometry is much more evident…as foundation components in logos.…As we'll investigate, the circle…has never been more central to design,…and in such a stripped-down motif,…center stage and…without wardrobe.…Restrained geometric purity of form…from squares, to angles, to flat surfaces…are evident throughout.…
All of this could be considered a pendulum swing…away from flash and bling.…
Discover how logo trends get started and how they evolve. See how several, different designers were able to manifest a different successful solution using the same general concept behind a trend. You'll also learn where to look to find sparks for your next identity project that will allow you to launch into the vanguard of identifying trends before others.
- Detecting logo design trends
- Identifying marks and techniques to launch your next design
- Determining which elements captivate consumers
- Leveraging new ways to express dimension
- Shifting the use of shape and line to communicate strength