Introduce yourself to the origins of the crest and its symbolic connotation going back millenniums. See how it was brought into modern times yet allowed to maintain connotations of historic relevance. Discover how it has merged with highly geometric chevrons to craft out new pocket-shield shapes with a more contemporary aesthetic.
- As a design device,…it's fair to say the shield has been around,…well, about as long as shields have been around.…You know, this device started out with a real purpose.…It was carried into battle to protect you…from rocks and arrows and spears…or what have you.…All while carrying the colors of your leader…to make sure everyone else knew…just whose side you were on.…Once those weekly skirmishes started to curtail,…that shield stuck around…but more as a symbol of authority.…
By the time it was worked into a full on family crest,…these things became hell to embroider on bath robes.…Lots of embellishment, but frankly,…there was a system here…and every detail had a purpose.…Jump forward a century or two,…and we pretty much strip the shield back…to its original shape.…But it still carries many of the same connotations…when we use it as a graphic device.…They hearken back to kingdoms, fiefdoms,…and freedoms, and any other doms…with a legacy worth battling for.…
It's a sign of authority, protection, allegiance,…and it's still a sign of one's official capacity.…
Discover how logo trends get started and how they evolve. See how several, different designers were able to manifest a different successful solution using the same general concept behind a trend. You'll also learn where to look to find sparks for your next identity project that will allow you to launch into the vanguard of identifying trends before others.
- Detecting logo design trends
- Identifying marks and techniques to launch your next design
- Determining which elements captivate consumers
- Leveraging new ways to express dimension
- Shifting the use of shape and line to communicate strength