When you install Box for Office, you will then have the ability to open your files stored on Box directly from the Microsoft Office application you're working with. In this movie, learn how to find and open an Office document stored on Box directly from within Microsoft Office, including authorizing the connection the first time you use it.
- [Instructor] So once you have Box for Office installed and ready to be used, all you need to do is access your Box contents from within the Microsoft Office apps. I'm gonna switch over to Microsoft Word. So I launched Word, I'm not gonna create a new one, I'm gonna Open Other Documents down here in the bottom left corner, this is Word 2016, and when I go to Open Files, you'll notice there's a new option on my list, and that is Box. Clicking it prompts me to Sign In, I only need to do this once.
All I need are my credentials to sign in. email@example.com, and my password, I'll just tab in there to type it in, and Authorize. So like I said, you'll do this once, this will get you access to your Box contents and check out what happens over here. Under Recent Files, you can see I can Browse Box, and clicking Browse Box opens up a dialog, and there's my Marketing folder, my shared folder.
My New Hire Resources, there's a couple of documents that are stored in my Box account. So, if I want Press_release.docx opened up, I select it, click Open, and it downloads it directly to my computer here where I can use it in Microsoft Word. So if I wanna make a change, I'm gonna change this from December 2016 to November, we're gonna get this out sooner than later, and go up to my Save button to save it, you'll notice it's saving and transferring it to Box.
So it's saved in Box without me having to upload it again. So same thing would happen in Excel with Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations. Once you've authorized Box after installing it, you have access to it from your File menu. Well, how about creating new ones and saving them to Box, what's that like? We'll do it next.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Creating a Box.com account
- Uploading files and folders
- Tagging files
- Searching for files
- Creating and editing documents with Box Edit
- Sharing links
- Assigning tasks
- Using Box for Office
- Installing Box Sync
- Using Box on a smartphone or tablet
- Upgrading to Box for Business