Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with Area lamps, part of Blender Essential Training.
Blender's Area lamp provides light from a specific region, rather than a point or a source.…So let's take a look at how to use this.…I'm going to add in an Area lamp and when you bring it in, if we zoom in, you'll…notice that it's a square, and this is where the light is originating. So we're…actually projecting light from the square.…This is really great for something like a soft box or a window that's generating…light, because when you combine this with shadows, it actually can create some…interesting effects.…
But let just look at the basics of how to use this.…I'm going to click on the Area Light tab in my Properties panel, and you'll…notice that, just like with most lights, we have a color, Energy.…We also have Distance and Gamma.…Gamma is actually contrast, but Distance is actually very important. Let's go…ahead and position this light.…I'm going to go ahead and move it up and move it over and I'm going to rotate it into place.…So I'm going to go ahead and rotate it just like I did with that spotlight…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.