An add-on is the blender equivalent of a third party plugin, which typically includes custom panels and/or operators. In this chapter, Patrick will guide you through building your own add-on which can be distributed for other users to install and use easily. In this module you will also learn about the key differences between a script and an add-on, and when it would be appropriate to use one versus the other.
- [Instructor] In this chapter,…we are going to be focused on…creating add-ons and operators.…In Blender, an add-on is essentially a plug in…which defines menus, operators, properties…windows and so forth.…They act as collected pieces of code…that a user can conveniently install…through the interface without having…to look at any of the script itself.…To install an add-on,…you can simply go to File,…User Preferences, then the Add-Ons tab,…and then the Install From File Button.…In this window, you can see a list of all add-ons…that Blender comes shipped with by default,…categorized in different areas.…
For any individual add-on,…you can can simply press the tick box to enable it,…or use the down arrow to find out more information about it.…When installing a new add-on,…there are two different types of structures you can have.…One structure is a self-contained .py file,…this type of file contains all the classes and functions…required to make the add-on work on its own.…The other structure is a .zip structure,…in this case, there's actually a self-contained folder,…
AuthorPatrick W. Crawford
- Controlling Blender with code
- Exploring the bpy library
- Creating Blender operators and properties
- Writing scripts
- Auto running scripts
- Drawing interface elements such as panels and menus
- Building a custom add-on
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Controlling Blender through Code
2. Create Blender Scripts
3. Customize Blender Interfaces
4. Build Your Own Add-On
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.