The other key type of data in blender is called a Property. There are several types and several uses for properties, but primarily they are the values and settings used as inputs for operators and modify how they function when called. Later in this course we will look at how to define and use your own properties.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Properties are another key area to understand when…scripting inside of Blender.…In Blender's default screen,…you can already see multiple Properties.…These can be seen such as by the numbers,…which are integers that we can change,…or from enums, which are essentially like lists,…with a selected, or active, object,…or booleans such as these checkboxes.…These are all Properties defined in Blender.…If I press the N key, over the 3D view,…and scroll down, you can also see that,…for example, this cube object…has a Property called its name.…
If I change its name to "Something Else",…you can see that, on pressing Enter,…this Property is applied.…Noting that, on the bottom of the screen,…you can see it now says "Something Else".…Of course, all these Properties are available,…and can be changed, by Python as well.…If I change the Timeline window to the Python Console,…then drag this window up,…slightly increase the text size,…then, by using bpy.context.active_object,…I can get the current active object,…which has now been renamed to "Something Else".…
AuthorPatrick W. Crawford
- Controlling Blender with code
- Exploring the bpy library
- Creating Blender operators and properties
- Writing scripts
- Auto running scripts
- Drawing interface elements such as panels and menus
- Building a custom add-on
Skill Level Intermediate
Introduction to Data Analysis with Pythonwith Michele Vallisneri2h 16m Intermediate
1. Controlling Blender through Code
2. Create Blender Scripts
3. Customize Blender Interfaces
4. Build Your Own Add-On
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.