Learn how to use BlenRig—a character rigging system provided by the Blender Foundation—to rig a character for animation in Blender.
- [Instructor] Hi, I'm Darrin Lile, and welcome to Blender Character Rigging with BlenRig. In this course, we will use the BlenRig character rigging system provided by the Blender foundation to rig a character for animation in Blender. We will begin by going over how to download and install the BlenRig add-on. We will then use the system's retargeting tools to adjust the size and proportions of the rig to match our character. The body of the character will be controlled by the BlenRig deform cage, so in the next section, we will work on conforming the cage to the shape of the character.
Once that is done, we can then create corrective shape keys to improve the deformation of the character. The smaller features of the character, however, will be controlled directly by the bones of the rig, so we will go over how to paint weights for the hands and the face. And finally, we will go over fine-tuning the rig with parameters and actions. Bringing a character to life through rigging is a complex process, but it doesn't have to be complicated. Join me as we break down the process of character rigging with BlenRig.
- Retargeting the rig
- Baking the rig
- Adjusting the deform cage for the head
- Adjusting the legs and feet
- Binding the character to the deform cage
- Adding corrective shape keys
- Setting up drivers
- Weight painting
- Setting parameters
- Adjusting actions and ranges