Before the hands and fingers can be weight painted, the hand needs to be removed from the influence of the deform cage. This video shows how to create a vertex group that removes the hands from the cage, and then how to paint the weights for the wrists.
- [Narrator] In this section we'll work on splitting out…the hands and the head from the deform cage…so that we can have more detailed control…of the fingers and the face.…To do that we first need to create…a vertex group for the body.…So I'll select the body and come over here to the data panel…and in the vertex group display here I'll click the plus…icon and let's change the name to something like no deform…cage, so we know what that is.…
Next we'll add an armature modifier to this body object…right here, and we'll bring it up to the top of the stack.…I'll click the arrows here to bring it up to the top.…Now the object we're going to be using…is of course our biped blend rig.…We want to preserve volume since it will be working…with such small detailed objects like the fingers,…and for the vertex group to be used we'll just use the one…we just created and also we'll put that same vertex group…in the mesh deform modifier right down here.…
But in this modifier what we'll do is we'll click…on invert to invert the influence of that vertex group.…
- Retargeting the rig
- Baking the rig
- Adjusting the deform cage for the head
- Adjusting the legs and feet
- Binding the character to the deform cage
- Adding corrective shape keys
- Setting up drivers
- Weight painting
- Setting parameters
- Adjusting actions and ranges
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Finished Character Animation in Blenderwith David Andrade1h 29m Appropriate for all
Blender: Rendering with Cycleswith George Maestri1h 28m Intermediate
1. Retargeting the Rig
2. Adjusting the Deform Cage
Adjusting the legs and feet5m 57s
3. Adding Corrective Shape Keys
4. Weight Painting
5. Adjusting Fine Details
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.