Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Using layers, part of Blender Essential Training.
Another way to organize your scene is to organize it into layers.…Now, Blender has a Layers Panel that's at the bottom of every 3D Viewport, and…we have a total of 20 layers.…So we have groups of 5 times 4 to make a total of 20 layers.…In this scene I've actually added those objects into a couple of different…layers, and if we start clicking these buttons here, we can see what layers are active.…
So if I click on this button here, you can see that the first layer contains the…Furniture, the Chairs, and the Tables.…This second layer contains the accessories, in other words, the Bowl of fruit,…and the third layer contains the Floor.…Now, if I want to turn all the layers on, all I have to do is hold down the…Shift key while selecting them.…Now, notice how the layers actually are dark when they are active.…
If they're inactive, they turn gray.…Now, one of these layers actually has an orange dot in it, and that's because…that's the layer with the active objects.…So if I were to select the Floor, the Layer 3 shows up.…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.