- [Instructor] When you create materials using cycles,…there are many times when the standard shaders…just don't cut it.…In that case we need to go a little bit deeper and use…what's called the Node Editor.…So I'm gonna go ahead and render this scene here,…and as you can see we have a variety of materials.…Now I'm going to focus on these plates, so I'm gonna go…ahead and select one of the plates, and you'll notice…we have this kind of blue colored material.…Now this is just a basic diffuse shader.…
Now let's say I wanted these plates to be a little bit…shinier, well the diffuse shader doesn't quite cut it…for that, so I need to add in something else.…Now if I switch this to a glossy, it would tend to look…metallic even if I added in a little bit of roughness to it.…So I need something that's a little bit in between diffuse…and glossy, so I'm gonna go ahead and switch this back…to diffuse and let's go into what's called the Node Editor.…
Now I'm gonna go into this top left view port here,…and I'm going to change it to the Node Editor.…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 8/12/2014. What changed?
A: We added a single movie on unwrapping objects, a technique that works differently in Blender 2.7. The rest of the instructions in the course work equally well with Blender 2.6 and Blender 2.7.
Q: This course was updated on 06/20/2017. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: using the Node Editor.
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.