Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Hemi lamps, part of Blender Essential Training.
When lighting a scene there are times when you'll need an overall general…light, such as light coming from a specific direction.…This is where we use the Hemi lamp, which just creates directional light.…So we're going to go ahead and add in a lamp called a Hemi.…When we bring it in, you can see how it looks kind of like a hemisphere, and…basically this light is an infinite hemisphere that projects light.…So it's kind of like a spotlight in that the light is directional, but it…doesn't have a specific source, so it doesn't create a cone, such as a spotlight.…
If we go into the Properties panel for this, you can see that the Hemi light…has very few controls.…We have control for Color, and Energy, Specular, and Diffuse, and that's about it.…The Hemi light does not cast shadows, but it does have direction.…So if I were to bring this directly above that cup and just do a quick render,…you can see that we get a general light from above that cup.…You can probably see this a little bit more if I point the light in a…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.