Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Symmetrical modeling with the Mirror modifier, part of Blender Essential Training.
Now let's take a look at how to do Symmetrical Modeling.…In Blender this is done using the Mirror Modifier.…Now I have this basic character and we've got some of the parts blocked out, but…we still need to block out the character's arms.…Now the arms are kind of a symmetrical thing where you have a right arm and a left arm.…Now, I could just model them individually, I am going to hit Tab and go in here.…For example, if I wanted to I could take the faces around where the arms socket…would be and I could just extrude those by doing Extrude Region.…
But what I'm doing on the left side of the character is not reflecting on the…character's right side.…So, there is a very distinct possibility that this won't be exactly symmetrical.…So I am going to go ahead and undo that.…Now one way you can do it in some programs is to select both of them and extrude…them at the same time, but that doesn't really work quite as well in Blender.…So probably the best way to do these sorts of modeling is to use the Mirror…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.