Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Smooth shading objects, part of Blender Essential Training.
There are times in Blender when your models will look like they have facets, in…other words, they don't look smooth.…You can see them here on this sphere that we have.…Each individual face is kind of rendered flat almost as a plane, so that as it…moves through the light, you can see how that sphere looks less smooth and more…like just a series of planes, which actually is what it is.…But we can get around this by using smooth shading.…So all I have to do is right-click on my sphere and in the Object Tools palette,…you'll see I've got an option here for Shading.…
Flat shading gives you this;…Smooth shading smoothes that out so that you can actually have a…smoother looking object.…You can apply this on a per face basis.…So let's go ahead and switch this back over to Flat and then hit the Tab key…so that way I can go into Edit Mode and I am going to hit Ctrl+Tab and select faces.…So I am going to deselect all the faces by hitting A and then I'm just going to…go ahead and select about six or seven faces.…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.