Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Fine-tuning ray-trace shadows, part of Blender Essential Training.
In the real world, lights actually cast shadows, areas where light is blocked.…Now in a 3D program you can turn shadows on and off, and we have multiple types of shadows.…So let's take a look at ray-trace shadows in Blender.…Now I have this basic scene setup, which is our point light shining on a cup and…a saucer, and let's just do a quick render of that scene.…So as you can see, we get shading on the side of the cup, but the scene doesn't…look realistic because there is no shadow. And we can add that in very simply.…
Now this is a point light so we have an option for no shadow or ray-traced shadows.…Let's go ahead and turn this on, but when you turn on shadows, you do need to…make sure they are turned on in renderer as well.…So I am going to introduce you to this panel here, which looks like a little…camera, and that's our Render panel. And if we scroll down here, you'll see under…Shading, we have a number of options.…One is, do we want to see textures, another is, do we want to see ray tracing, and…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.