Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Displacement mapping, part of Blender Essential Training.
Now when you use bump mapping, it basically is a render effect.…It creates the illusion of a bumpy surface.…It doesn't actually change the geometry of an object.…To do that, we require displacement mapping.…Now let's take a quick look at bump mapping again, just to see how it works. So…I have this cube and if I do a quick render of it, you see that, well, it's got…this black-and-white texture on, which we can use as a bump map or a displacement map.…
So if we go over to our Texture panel here, so we can see under Influence, it's…influencing the color of the object. And you can see that here in the preview.…Now, if I turn this off for color and go over to Geometry here, under Influence,…and turn on Norm, you can see how I can create a normal map, or bump map, that…has that cross effect.…So if I do a quick render, you can see how yeah, I do get those lines embossed on that surface.…
But if we scroll in, you can see that well it's not really affecting the…geometry of the object.…To do that we need a displacement map.…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.