Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating sunlight, part of Blender Essential Training.
Now let's take a look at the last lamp in Blender, and that's the Sun lamp.…And this creates a good approximation of sun, and it can also add in sky as well.…So let's go ahead and add in a Lamp > Sun.…Now the Sun lamp basically works the same as a Hemi lamp, in that it is…directional and not positional.…So really the only thing that matters is the direction of the light.…So I can basically keep this light here at the origin where it came in, or if I…want, I can move it anywhere I want in the scene.…
Now I'm going to move it a little bit up here so we can just see it, but the…direction of the light is really all that matters.…So if I rendered this as is, you'll get light from above. In other words, you'll…get pretty much noon sky.…Now if I want to I can rotate this, so if I rotate it this way, then you can see…how the light now comes from the front of the building.…So if I change this to Local and I angle this a little bit more, you can see how,…again, I can get light from the side.…
One of the big differences between the Sun lamp and the Hemi lamp is that the…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.