Join Darrin Lile for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a path for the frame, part of Blender: Model a Motorcycle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] With the reference images in,…we can begin laying out the foundation of the motorcycle,…and I think the most fundamental part of it is this frame,…the frame that kind of begins here and goes down…and around to the back tire,…and then from here up and under the seat,…and then there's one more piece that comes straight up…back to the front.…We can kind of see it here.…You can kind of see that it flares out a little bit…as it comes down to the bottom.…In addition, it curves back in underneath the seat here.…
To create that tubular geometry,…we're going to use a path in Blender here.…I'm going to come over here to the Create tab,…and I'll choose Path.…If we tumble around, we see that there is our path.…Now I'm going to hit the five key on the number pad…to switch to perspective view.…But if I tab into Edit mode,…you can see all this is is just a couple of points,…right here, I can hit the G key…and move these around like this,…and we can begin to build the shape of the frame…using these paths.…
Let's work on that.…
Darrin begins by creating the frame of the motorcycle using curves. He then builds up the motorcycle piece by piece, creating the exhaust pipes, fenders, handlebars, engine components, and brakes. These lessons capitalize on the Path tool and modifiers like Solidify and Booleans. Finally, Darrin uses Blender's Cycles render engine to create the materials and lighting for the scene, and UV maps the textures to key pieces of the bike. In the end, you will have a greater understanding of Blender's modeling tools and production processes so that you can create vehicles and other hard-surface projects of your own.
- Creating the frame
- Converting a path to polygons
- Modeling the gas tank, tires, fenders, exhaust, and other parts
- Building the engine
- Modeling the seats, wheels, and lights
- Lighting the scene
- Adding materials and texturing
- Rendering the motorcycle
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Creating an Interior Scene with Blenderwith Darrin Lile2h 27m Intermediate
Creating a Game Environment in Blender and Unitywith Darrin Lile3h 13m Intermediate
1. Creating the Frame
2. Modeling the Accessories
3. Building the Engine
4. Modeling the Seats, Wheels, and Lights
5. Lights, Materials, and Rendering
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.