Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating Bump and Normal maps, part of Blender Essential Training.
Textures can also be used to create normal and bump maps, and these will allow…you to create the illusion of a rough surface.…So I have a simple sphere here and it already has a material applied.…Let's go ahead and add in a texture and turn that into a bump map.…So I am going to just go ahead and click on New. And right now we have Clouds as…the default, but let's go ahead and scroll down and select Wood. And I like this…because it has these nice stripes here.…
Now, we can certainly modify this as we want, but let's just use this basic…standard wood material here.…And you can see how it is mapped to the object, and so we can get a few more stripes here.…Let's just put this on Object mode, and let's just do a quick test render here…to see what we have.…So we've got the stripes going around our object.…I am going to go ahead and expand this so we can see it.…Now we can set bump mapping here in the Influence tab.…
All we have to do is just click under Geometry > Normal.…It's actually normal and bump mapping, and as soon as we do, look at what…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.