Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Create bumps and deplacemenets, part of Blender Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Another way to modify materials…is to you add bump and displacement mapping.…Let's take a look at that.…I've got this simple scene here,…and I'm going to go ahead and render it.…As you can see, we have a table with a bowl,…and some oranges, although the oranges…look a little bit more like balls, because,…well, they don't have as much texture as they need…to give that surface, that kind of…bumpy surface of the orange.…
Let's go ahead and correct that by adding in some bumps.…I'm going to go ahead and select one of the oranges,…and as you can see in the materials tab,…we have a material named orange, and it is a mixed shader.…If you look at it here, in the node editor,…you see that we have a diffuse, and a glossy,…both approximately the same color,…leading into a mix shader, and that creates the surface.…
We want to add and some bumps to that surface,…to give it a little bit more realism.…We can do that in one of two places.…The easiest way is to just go here,…into displacement, and click on it.…You can see that we can add in all sorts…
- Navigating in 3D space
- Selecting, rotating, and scaling objects
- Using Snap to move objects precisely
- Creating mesh primitives and extrusions
- Subdividing meshes
- Creating a simple creature
- Joining mesh objects and stitching vertices
- Organizing a scene with layers, groups, and hierarchies
- Assigning glossy and reflective materials to objects
- Creating bump maps
- Creating sky and ambient light
- Understanding ambient occlusion
- Adding motion blur and depth of field
- Editing animation in the Graph Editor
- Building and animating a simple character
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 8/12/2014. What changed?
A: We added a single movie on unwrapping objects, a technique that works differently in Blender 2.7. The rest of the instructions in the course work equally well with Blender 2.6 and Blender 2.7.
Q: This course was updated on 06/20/2017. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: using the Node Editor.
After Effects CC 2013 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson14h 51m Appropriate for all
Edge Animate Essential Trainingwith Chris Converse4h 44m Beginner
1. The Blender Interface
2. Selecting and Translating Objects
4. Advanced Modeling
5. Staying Organized
6. Applying Materials
7. Adding Textures
8. Working with Light
9. Cameras and Rendering
10. Basic Animation
11. Character Rigging
12. Rendering in Cycles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.